Sweatshirt is a basic component of wardrobe for everyone. It is generally used as a winter wear. They are basically loose shirt or t-shirt made from cotton or some synthetic fiber. Earlier it was only used by the army people for protection from chilly weather, wind and moisture.
Fabrics used in sweatshirts
A sweatshirt can be casual and warm or sporty and light. They can be used both as casual as well as traditional wear. Sweatshirts can be made from several types of fabrics. Some of the common fabrics that can be used for sweatshirts are explained below.
- Cotton: It is usually used in sweatshirts that are used when the weather is not freezing. They are available in several designs, colors and in affordable price ranges.
- Fleece: Fleece can be used in varied thickness according to the need. It is insulating and soft and can be maintained easily. It is preferred by those who give priority to comfort rather than designs since graphics and designs cannot be embedded on fleece.
- Terry: It usually contains blends of cotton and several synthetic fibers. The fabric is quite similar to the one used in towels. The only difference is that the sweatshirts are knit on one side.
- Hemp: Though it is a little stiffer than cotton it gives the complete feel of cotton.
Features of sweatshirts
The sweatshirts have several unique features that make it so much popular among men and women of all ages. Some of the notable features of the sweatshirts are discussed below.
- Stretch: Generally, sweatshirts are made from fabrics that are stretchable. Usually 25-50% stretchable material is ideal for sweatshirts. Some synthetic materials are mixed with pure cotton to attain the stretch ability.
- Drape: For the sweatshirts with hoodie drape is essential. Thinner fabrics or Rayon can be used for the drape. They are better for drape as compared to cotton or any synthetic fibers.
- Warmth: They can be easily used as an alternative to the jackets. Sweatshirts are usually used as the top layer for layering. They have some properties similar to jackets like deep pockets, cuffs that are ribbed or using fibers like fleece for warmth to the wearer.
- Breathability: The sweatshirts that are made of terry fabric are the best for breathability. The moisture absorption property and breathability feature is a must for the sweatshirts for athletics. These sweatshirts absorb the perspiration and help in regulating the body temperature.